Monday 26 November 2012

BlackVeil (green rider#4)


Review and character synopsis by Obsidian Fury.

The long-awaited sequel to Green Rider, First Rider's Call, and The High King's Tomb


Once a simple student, Karigan G'ladheon finds herself in a world of deadly danger and complex magic, compelled by forces she cannot understand when she becomes a legendary Green Rider-one of the magical messengers of the king. Forced by magic to accept a dangerous fate she would never have chosen, headstrong Karigan has become completely devoted to the king and her fellow Riders.



But now, an insurrection led by dark magicians threatens to break the boundaries of ancient, evil Blackveil Forest-releasing powerful dark magics that have been shut away for a millennium.
Ahhh. Frankly speaking, I honestly didn't really enjoy Blackveil as much as the 2nd, or the first for that matter.
All that really gripped me, that intrigued me, was Karigan...as usual, and then the elite Eletions, with their 'mystery and history', I made some favorites among them (ok it was only one). The most incredible and Green Rider-ish part was the journey... in Blackveil. Simply Superb. Well-wrought and well, well use of running pinpricks of fear down my spine (or maybe it was because I was devouring the book well after midnight.) 
Anyway, Weapons... O yea! One word for them... COOL! With their air of 'coolness' and the elegant yet deadly power they exude.
Well.. for now, that's all I can say... Go Karigan. Go Eletions! Go Weapons. Oh and Go Beryl! And the Riders... wow. How could I forget =P
Boo to the rest.

P.S: This book seriously changes the way i felt about the characters. 

Estora: Well, from the 2nd book I loathed her and book by book the feeling intensified until it was clear she's a SISSY NINNY! yuck.

Zachary: Well, I admired him for his 'people first' rule in his rule but well, in the end for some reason (I have no idea what) but when the second assassination attempt occured, I really hoped that he was done with it that time. Annihilated. Dead! My bad for such a far-fetched hope. AH!

Alton: In the previous book I really sympathized with, really pitied him for his sufferings and frustrations for the 'I gotta fix the Wall. It's my heritage' thing. But here... again for 'some' reason I officially now place him under the 'loser' category. Way to go Kirsten.

Another thing... Blackveil's the only interesting worth item in the book (and some other endeavors... all Karigan's again). Conclusively, Kirsten's ONLY credit is for some of her characters who're simply AWESOME! Like Arms Master Drent... yay! Oh! ANd the whole moonstone thing. I want a Moonstone!

That's all=D
A waste of 'time' perhaps like the paradoxes this story revolves around... 
Oh and the killer ending the author's been so lavish in providing DESCRIPTIONS about... the paiiinnn! I mean I Am not gonna waste four to who-knows-how-many years of my life waiting for the next book :(
From what I've heard of the Rider Series each book takes about 3-4 years? Seriously? In that case I consider myself VERY lucky for I got the 'honor' to gulp these within a year =P 

Not the Best of them to come. Albeit the snatches of humor and some of the mystery was extremely satisfying



1 comment:

  1. Just stumbled across this review and I agree with you. Blackveil was such a disppointement! Long, dragged out and I finished it hating so many characters. The only worthwhile parts were Karigan and the Blackveil journey and then the autor ends it on that stupid cliffhanger!

    You are lucky you are reading them all now. I've read the series since just before the second book and the gaps between the books are about 3-4 years on average. It tests the patience abnd I was so disapponted by Blackveil I'm wondering if I should continue with the series!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...